While the truck was still sitting in Germany the seller asked me if I wanted him to take off the fire truck box. With all of my wisdom I said to leave it on. My thought on this was I would take it off here and sell it to offset the shipping cost. Oh how silly I was.
A week or so before the truck was due to arrive in Los Angeles I posted a Craigslist ad selling the box. I had a few people contact me. I choose one guy who had a shop and was on our way out of town. I picked up the truck and dropped it off with his guy. We went to lunch and came back a few hours later. The guy was having a breakdown. He was very overwhelmed with the project; he hadn’t even tried to take it off yet. He said he was sorry but the project was too scary for him to do.
So we drove all the way back to Arizona and had to rethink how I was going to take this box off.
I placed the box and hold and focused on stripping down the cab.
It only took us about 3 days to strip out the cab.
I stripped hundreds of feet of wires from the cab and chassis; wires going to nothing and wires going to the fire truck box. I got a crash course on 12V vs. 24 V. There were many more wires running from the fire box to the cab but I really could not reach them with the box on.
So I’ve done as much as I could on the cab, time to move onto the box. I took the truck to a friends self proclaimed “redneck shop”. 2 hours staring at the truck and a few beers later we came up with a kinda game plan. We were going to unbolt the box from the frame, then lift one side at a time a foot or so. We used a 1976 tow truck to lift the front and rear of the box and placed wooded blocks under the box. We were then able to find all the other wires and connectors that we needed to remove from the box. We unbolted the battery boxes from the rear and strapped them to the rear bumper for a temporary fix.
It was fairly easy to remove the box once we found all the bolts.
We lifted the rear of the box and drove the truck out from under the box.
With the box off I went about stripping all the extra wires. I also took off all the PTO equipment.
I then looked at the bare chassis for a few hours and tried to visualize the build. I needed to get the chassis done before the construction of the camper could start.